Sunday, October 17, 2010

New Crayons + Feedback

New Crayons is a meme in which anyone can participate. All you have to do is share what multicultural books you got for the week and post the link to your blog post in the comments (or just leave a comment with the titles).Crayons is our metaphor for multicultural literature.

Before we get to the books, I want to ask: Is there something in particular you want to see at Color Online? More reviews, interviews, discussion posts? Quizzes? Guest posts? Do let us know.
Ruth and the Green Book by Calvin Alexander Ramsey, illustrated by Floyd Cooper

Ruth was so excited to take a trip in her family's new car! In the early 1950s, few African Americans could afford to buy cars, so this would be an adventure. But she soon found out that black travelers weren't treated very well in some towns. Many hotels and gas stations refused service to black people. Daddy was upset about something called Jim Crow laws...

Finally, a friendly attendant at a gas station showed Ruth's family The Green Book. It listed all of the places that would welcome black travelers. With this guidebook--and the kindness of strangers--Ruth could finally make a safe journey from Chicago to her grandma's house in Alabama.

Ruth's story is fiction, but The Green Book and its role in helping a generation of African American travelers avoid some of the indignities of Jim Crow are historical fact.

-
This is why I love picture books. Before reading this summary, I would not have known about the Green Book. They are so beautiful and often talk about lesser-known events.


Split by Swati Avasthi


Sixteen-Year-Old Jace Witherspoon arrives at the doorstep of his estranged brother Christian with a re-landscaped face (courtesy of his father’s fist), $3.84, and a secret.

He tries to move on, going for new friends, a new school, and a new job, but all his changes can’t make him forget what he left behind—his mother, who is still trapped with his dad, and his ex-girlfriend, who is keeping his secret.

At least so far.

Worst of all, Jace realizes that if he really wants to move forward, he may first have to do what scares him most: He may have to go back.
-This cover is so cool. Look beyond the keys. Do you see the faces? Sounds like a riveting read.

That's it for us. Your go :)

4 comments:

Gavin said...

I love picture books too! Thanks for this review. I want to read both of these but particularly Ruth and the Green Book

ninefly said...

I've seen Split around a lot, the brothers thing always gets me lol

I got 2 new crayons myself this week =)
http://angeltyuan.blogspot.com/2010/10/in-my-mailbox-20101017.html

Em said...

I bought, received, and read "Mismatched" by Lensey Namioka this week. I also received a copy of "Ash" by Malinda Lo which I won in a giveaway and am excited to have a copy of (loved this one). And I bought a copy of "A Wish After Midnight" by Zetta Elliott to send to a friend in Port Au Prince, Haiti - she requested urban fantasy and I know that she will love Zetta's work.

I hate to admit, I have seen the cover of Split many times and had yet to notice the faces. Thanks for pointing that out!

MissA said...

@Gavin-I really want to read Ruth and the Green Book too! It looks wonderful. I never have time to read picture books which makes me sad :(

@ninefly-I only recently noticed the brothers thing! haha.

Yay new crayons. Especially yay for Paris Pan! Such a cute read :) and The Iron King looks good.

@Em-I realllllyyy want to read your review on Mismatched. I want to read it because it's intercultural romance but I'm not the biggest fan of the author's writing style.

Ash is fabulous! LOVE it so much. Have you seen the cover for Huntress? gorgeous

I love that AWAM is going to Haiti! I think we should send it around the world =D

And I only recetnly (like last week) noticed the faces. heehee