Monday, August 30, 2010

Back To School Reading Recommendations Wanted

Community, I love the fall. I haven't been to school in years but this has always been my favorite time of the year. I've been in a reading drought. I've missed a lot of new works so I'm asking you to bring me up to speed.

Please tell me what you feel should be at the top of my TBR list. What have I missed that I must read? Brief descriptions or links to reviews welcome. Any review copies will be given priority and all donated reads will be made available to the community so feel free to recommend and send books.

What's on your fall reading lists? I want to read from children to adult, all genres.

There are so many books. For those who don't know, I've shed twenty pounds (trying to remain a breathing reader), unexpectedly though I hadn't planned to reduced my daily reading.

Can you help a brown girl out?

Happy reading.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved Up From Slavery by Booker T Washington.

It's the story of a man who started out as a slave, not even knowing the actual date of his birth and became an entrepreneur,educator, visionary, leader, and the first teacher of the first class at my alma mater, Tuskegee University.

After learning about the accomplishments of Booker T. Washington, I realized that any reason, justification, explanation, or argument that I could ever come up with regarding my inability to accomplish a goal will never be valid.

Unknown said...

I'm currently reading Sunrise over Fallujah by Walter Dean Myers. I have nothing in particular on my TBR list.

Vasilly said...

Have you read The Madonnas of Echo Park by Brando Skyhorse? It's a fantastic book. I just read it a few weeks ago and loved it. I have The Other Wes Moore by Wes Moore in my TBR pile. I'm reading Hope in the Unseen by Ron Suskind. So far I'm enjoying though I haven't picked it up in a few weeks. I'm recommending that one too.

MissA said...

I can't remember if you read Bleeding Violet but that book is a must-read. It's so uniquely bizarre. I love it. I also fell in love with the Devil's Kiss series by Sarwat Chadda.

Oh! and defintely read Losing My Cool. It's about being a product of hip hop culture and how this guy went from being a "thug" to realizing that hip hop is bringing us down (in his opinion). It is a FANTASTIC read. I was saying Amen for most of it! It's a memoir.

Finally, read 32 Candles. One of my FAVORITE books of the year. Adult fiction. So funny.

Congrats on the weight loss! That's such a great feeling :)

Carleen Brice said...

Have you read Jabari Asim's Taste of Honey yet? Velly good. Substitute Me by Lori Tharps is also a good one.