Saturday, February 20, 2010

New Crayons: What's New On Our Shelves

Remember when you were a kid and getting new crayons was a big deal? Getting new books holds the same kind of magic for some of us big kids. Every week on Sunday, I post what's new in our box. I think crayons is a pretty cool metaphor for multicultural lit. Every week we receive a book is a good week.

Color Online staff and I have had a good week. Check out our bounty:

Me-
Brown Eyes, Brown Skin by Cherly Willis Hudson and Bernette G. Ford, illustrated by George Ford. When Cheryl commented at RAWW, I recognized her name but couldn't remember why. Then I visited the link she provided, saw this book and I broke out in a wide grin. This was one of my youngest daughter's early books. Cheryl sent several children's books. Some will be listed others will be set aside for donations. Cheryl had very kind words to say about us. Of course, I asked her to join us here.

One Million Men and Me by Kelly Starling Lyons, illustrated by Peter Ambush. Kelly is an active member and supporter here. See her wwoc profile and do check out her work. She sent several titles including The Rock and The River by Kekla Magoon. Thank you. Adding these to our Prize Bucket.


One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia. Elyse at Harper Collins discovered Color Online via Mitali Perkins. I have been wanting to read this so you know I was glad to receive this unexpected gift. See Doret's review here

and Ari's at Reading In Color.














Ah Yuan-
All You Need is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka.
Sun Sword: Uncrowned King,Sun Sword: Shining Court and Sun Sword: Sea of Sorrows by Michelle (Sagara) West
8th Grade Superzero and A Wish After Midnight. Thanks to the awesome Zetta Elliott.

Doret-
The Girl Who Fell From The Sky by Heidi Durrow

What did you get this week in the mail, at the bookstore or on trade?
Happy Reading.

6 comments:

Wilhelmina said...

This week, I received a new copy of "Go Tell It On The Mountain" to reread for our March discussion in the Literary Fiction by People of Color group on Goodreads, a copy of the poetry collection "Gathering Ground" from Cave Camen. and a surprise gift from my son - a book of reflections on straddling the white and black worlds by John D. Hollis, entitled "Life In The Paint". My son went to the same boarding school as John Hollis and roomed for a while with his brother.

Color Online said...

I have Gathering Ground and many of the early Cave Canem anthologies. I remember when the Eady and Derricotte formed the fellowship, two talented and hardworking poets.

I'm on Goodreads. Can you send me an invite or the link?

Wilhelmina said...

I hope that I sent the invite correctly. If not, just let me know and I'll try again!

April (BooksandWine) said...

Eighth Grade Super Zero looks fabulous!

So does A Wish After Midnight, that is one rocking cover.

Najela said...

Bright Eyes, Brown Skin is one of my favorite children books. It such a great story, it's one of my earliest children's books as well.

Najela said...

The Girl Who Fell From the Sky is an amazing book.