Saturday, June 27, 2009

Silver Phoenix: A Fantastic Journey

Silver Phoenix
Cindy Pon
Harper Collins
2009

Silver Phoenix is a fantasy novel about Ai Ling on a journey to find her father, but along the way her journey becomes difficult when unspeakable evil tries to thwart her progress. Just when it seems all hope is gone, she is rescued by an unlikely hero, foreigner Chen Yong. Chen Yong finds himself drawn to Ai Ling so he offers to help her on her mission. He is in search for answers of his own and he believes their paths are leading them to the same place.

Throughout her journey, Ai Ling discovers that she has mysterious powers. Ai Ling and company are shocked when they discover that Ai Ling is more than what she seems. She doesn't know what to do with this information but she has to draw on all her bravery and willpower to defeat the evil force that has a hand in her life. The heroine finds herself face to face with powerful foe and she needs all the help she can get.

This is Cindy Pon’s debut novel and she did a fantastic job. The writing is spellbinding and the imagery kept me fascinated. I love all of the different lands that the characters travel through. The characterization is on point. Ai Ling is a strong heroine considering her Xian customs and one of my favorite characters in this novel is Li Rong – I found myself constantly laughing or smiling throughout this book at him. This was a hard book to put down and I can say I would have finished sooner if I were able to read it on a weekend. I tried to get as many sneaks as I could in during lunch or on my commute home because I had to know what would happen next. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for Ai Ling and company in the future. I will definitely be reading more of Cindy Pon’s novels.
___________________________________________________________________
I run a blog called Fantastic Book Review which is basically my outlet for my book obsession for both YA and adult novels. I have a special love for all things fantasy, paranormal, and supernatural. I love spreading the word on great books all around the world by featuring information and reviews on previous, new and upcoming novels and authors.

1 comment:

Becca said...

This is one I want to read. Great review.