Sunday, November 15, 2009

Publishers Weekly: The Women They Overlooked

Community, have you read any of the backlash about Publishers Weekly's Top 10 for 2009? At She Writes, there's been quite a stir. There's no women in the top ten though a few are mentioned in other categories. Even if you haven't read the list, most of us here wouldn't be surprised by the absence of color.

Of course I asked where was the shared outrage over the absence of women of color. Kamy, one of the co-founders not only read my multiple posts to different responses, but she in turn asked me to share a list of women of color who published in 2009 who rightly deserve to be recognized.

I read mostly YA and I don't normally read new releases. Ego aside, I want to get this right. She Writes has a huge membership so I am calling on you to help me submit a solid list. Share with me your picks for women of color who had works published in 2009. Most of the top 10 are literary works.

I'll start:
The Other Side of Paradise by Stacy Ann Chin
The Map of Home by Randa Jarrar
Stealing Buddha's Dinner: a memoir by Bich Ming Nguyen
The Weight of Heaven: A Novel by Thrity Umrigar
The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Daughters of the Stone by Dahlma Llanos-Figueroa
Secret Son by Laila Lalami

7 comments:

Unknown said...

The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Secret Son by Laila Lalami

Anonymous said...

Daughters of the Stone by Dahlma Llanos-Figueroa

Doret said...

Thank you Anonymous.

I loved Daughters of the Stone. The second half of the book is so beautiful.

Susan, I may have to review it for Color Online

Color Online said...

I almost added Around Your Neck but I read a review that the stories were not balanced.

Renee, did you think this collection is as good as Adichie's previous work?

I love her work by the way. And I will be reading this one.

Unknown said...

Hi LaTanya, I havent read the collection yet and didn't know that reviews are mixed. That's interesting. I love her novels.
Farai Chideya had her first novel out this year too but I haven't read that.

Color Online said...

Community,

Can we get a few more recommendations?

Color Online said...

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Don't forget our giveaways and I'd love to have a few more recommendations here.