Monday, March 7, 2011

Miss Scarlet's School of Patternless Sewing

Miss Scarlet's School of Patternless Sewing by Kathy Cano-Murillo

Scarlet Santana is going after her dream of making it big in the fashion world. The Santana's are a family of engineers. Scarlet's parents and two siblings, can't understand her decision to forgo her two advanced degrees to work in fashion.

Scarlet runs a very popular blog called Daisy Forever.com (magical musings about love, beauty & fashion inspired by the life of Daisy de la Flora)

She is finally accepted into an exculsive design program in NYC, that's been known to launch careers. The program which was orignally started by Daisy de la Flora is now being run by her nephew, Johnny "Scissors" Tijeras.

To pay for the program Scarlet teaches a small group of students how to sew without using patterns. One of her students is Mary Theresa, a workaholic that wants everything done her way. Mary Theresa hopes taking this class will help her marriage.

Scarlet made this story for me. I really liked her determination and it was obvious how much she loved fashion. Her blog entries were great.

"My Nana Eleanor, an educated activist for all thing threaded, woven, and stitched, taught me early on that every curve of a woman's body has a three part novella to tell. And to fully appreciate the fleshy package God gave us, we must tune in measuring tape in hand to discover the tragedies and triumphs that exist from the top of our tresses to the edges of our toenails. I sure did. My body's secrets made me sob as much as cheer. I empowered myself to dissect my frame and stitch my own wardrobe from scratch. "

Mary Theresa is at first closed off to Scarlet's offer of friendship, eventully welcomes it. Scarlet's small sewing class gets very close. They wants to see Scarlet succeed and they all do what they can to make that happen.

Once again I enjoyed the male leads Cano- Murillo has created. Marco the record shop owner who can't bring himself to tell Scarlet how he feels about her. Hadley is Mary Theresa's husband and stay at home dad. They were both nice, supportive and wanted the relationships to work.

Miss Scarlet's School of Patternless Sewing was a very enjoyable read that made want to seek out some kind of crafty class and I am not a crafty girl.

No comments: