Monday, November 15, 2010

The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey

The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey by Walter Mosley
91 yr old, Ptolemy Grey suffers from dementia and lives alone in a small apartment. Reggie, the one family member who was looking after him hasn't been around in weeks. Soon 17 yr old Robyn, a family friend comes into Ptolemy's life. She helps bring order to his cluttered apartment. Ptolemy spends much of his time in his memories. The here and now is choppy at best.

With Robyn's around Ptolemy finds, he wants to seek help for his dementia. Ptolemy agrees to be a guinea pig for a doctor who is testing an experimental drug. The drug gives Ptolemy the mind he once had but he also knows it will kill him. In the time he has, Ptolemy wants to get his affairs in order.

Ptolemy Grey was very much real to me. I touched by and felt his fear and loneliness. As well as his desire to remember again. What I found most interesting was Ptomely's mind wandering into his memories. The disconnect from the now was very believable. Mosley takes the time to develop Robyn as well. The two offer each other something no one else can. This could've been a sad story, but somehow its not. What it is, is was well crafted and beautiful. I coudn't stop reading.

3 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I loved reading your review and I have enjoyed Walter Mosley in the past; this goes on my list --thank you

Mardel said...

This sounds like a very uplifting book, from your description. I think I want to read it now. thanks. :)

Doret said...

Jill - I can't wait to read your review. I was really surprised by how easily I lost myself in this one.

Diane and Mardel - I think you will enjoy it especially since my review didn't do the book justice.