Tuesday, September 7, 2010

They've exhaled; now they are learning to breathe

Getting to Happy by Terry McMillan
This is the sequel to Waiting to Exhale. Its 15yrs later, Savannah, Gloria, Bernadine and Robin are still the women we remembered.

A few pages in, I was already lost in the story. The four friends are facing new challenges but of course they're still there for each other. I loved reading Getting to Happy, losing myself in the familiar and revisiting characters that I never really forget. Like Waiting to Exhale, this is an emotional read. I cried and laughed a lot. Getting to Happy was simply a pleasure to read.

This works as a stand alone. Though if you haven't read Waiting to Exhale treat yourself. Go ahead and read the two books back to back.

Looks like McMillan is doing it rock star style and visiting 20 states between Sept. 7th and Oct. 8th Tour Dates McMillan will be in Atlanta on Sept. 14th and I have my fingers crossed she'll stop in and sign stock.

The title of this post comes from the last line of the synopsis on the back of the advanced readers copy. I like it so much I decided to use it.

2 comments:

Carleen Brice said...

I had the same reaction. It brought up a lot of emotions just remembering the original story and where I was when I read it. The first book was such a part of my life that reading the sequel was really emotional.

Kristi's Book Nook said...

i plan to buy the book this week. She will be here in Kansas City as a part of the book tour. I am sure I will have lots of questions.