Friday, August 21, 2009

This Blogging Life: Poetry Friday

I tumbled over the side and uneasily tilt upwards
almost always just shy of toppling back over.
Brush my teeth while thinking of new posts
and e-mails and those thank-you notes
I haven’t written yet.
I toggle all day until I arrive home and yeah-
toggle all night till I tumble over sideways,
almost face downward, curl my feet round
each other and toggle in my head
until finally I fall asleep.






Don't fret. You don't have to be kind. Anyone who writes should know to grow a thick skin. The draft is a response to a prompt written so time ago. I'm a bit out of sorts today. Another shift in my life : welcome to the ranks of the unemployed. Oddly, I am not panicked. I'm a Detroiter. We're resilient. Today, Poetry Friday is hosted by Kyle at The Boy Reader.

13 comments:

Tea said...

I think it's a cute poem. Shows what teens are doing and thinking about today. I like the word "toggle." I feel a lot of movement in the poem which shows what a "real" teen is like.

susan said...

Hi Tea,

Sorry for the confusion. The model for this is an adult and the poem is about me. lol

The movement was modeled on a piece I read for the prompt. Can't remember it now.

I toggle way more than my teen. :-)

Zetta said...

I can't find a definition for "toggle" that makes any sense...help? All the Detroit women I know are FIERCE...

susan said...

toggle, multi-task.

"To alternate between two or more electronic, mechanical, or computer-related options, usually by the operation of a single switch or keystroke"

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I like it! But I had trouble with "toggle" too! LOL

Zetta said...

I'm slow when it comes to tech stuff, so bear with me...having multiple screens open at one time and switching between them--toggling? Or clicking on several links while on one page?

Color Online said...

Trust me, it's not a habit you want to develop. lol

Tyhitia Green said...

I liked it. And I can sooo relate to toggling. ;-)

Andrea Murphy said...

Your words perfectly reflect the hectic, frantic, impossibly paced world so many of us inhabit. Thanks!

Marjorie said...

I like it too - I can certainly empathise with toggling - I even do the Alt-Tab toggle when I don't need to and have to carry on through all the programmes to get back to where I want to be... so, yes, your repetition of toggle is really effective!

I'm sorry to hear about your job... yes, be resilient. These are tough times.

MotherReader said...

Yeah, I feel like that a lot too. But actually a bit less now that I am also unemployed. It's a small benefit.

Sorry to hear about your job. Sending good energy up Detroit way.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I can totally relate to all that toggling. I like the multiple levels in the poem too.

I am so sorry to hear about the job. Is that the library job you worked so hard on? Bah! What a shame! How could that happen? Don't say funding, please!

Kelly Polark said...

Okay, so I learned a supercute new word today: toggle!
I am so going to use it!!