This is week #6 and this week we'll focus on genre- YA fiction. Last week I shared at length my observations regarding cover art featuring black characters. Some responded that readers have been conditioned to make narrow assumptions about African American fiction. Another reader said librarians and teachers need to expose students to a greater variety of authors. Your assignment this week is to inform readers what they are missing. With your help, maybe we can begin dismantling misconceptions and introduce readers to a more diverse pool of writers. Please address one or a few of the following:
1) Provide a list of YA writers of color that you think deserve more exposure.
2) Showcase cover art that does not reveal the race/ethnicity of the characters. Do you think these covers accurately represent the storyline?
3) Spotlight sub-genre YA fiction with teens of color i.e. graphic novels, romance, mystery, fantasy and science fiction.
4) Briefly discuss YA novels with teens of color but race is not a dominant factor in the story.
5) If you don't read YA fiction, do a little research and report back on a YA novel/comic you intend to read in the future.
Please don't attempt all. The aim is to give you choices. Come back here and leave a link to your blog. Happy reading.