Saturday, March 7, 2009

Potpourri: Literature & Women's Studies

Answer the quiz and your name will be entered in a monthly drawing. Post your reply to the comment box. Post or send us your email addy to be eligible to win. Cool prizes, check out our Prize Bucket.

Quiz #17

She was born in Chicago in 1954. The only girl of seven children, she spent most of her time alone. She was shy and her family moved often. She said in college she was intimidated by her privileged classmates. She believed no one cared to what she had to say and no one listened to her even when she did speak.

It was not until this moment when I separated myself, when I considered myself truly distinct, that my writing acquired a voice.

She is the first Chicana to receive a major publishing contract for a work about Chicanas. Who is she?